The Realtek RTL8153B-VB-CG 10/100/1000M Ethernet controller combines a triple-speed IEEE 802.3 compatible Media Access Controller (MAC) with a triple-speed Ethernet transceiver, USB 3.0 bus controller, and embedded memory. With state-of-the-art DSP technology and mixed-mode signal technology, the RTL8153B-VB offers high-speed transmission over CAT 5 UTP cable or CAT 3 UTP (10Mbps only) cable. Functions such as Crossover Detection and Auto-Correction, polarity correction, adaptive equalization, cross-talk cancellation, echo cancellation, timing recovery, and error correction are implemented to provide robust transmission and reception capabilities. The RTL8153B-VB features embedded One-Time-Programmable (OTP) memory that can replace the external EEPROM (93C46/93C56/93C66).
The RTL8153B-VB features USB 3.0 to provide higher bandwidth and improved protocols for data exchange between the host and the device. USB 3.0 also offers more advanced power management features for energy saving.
Advanced Configuration Power management Interface (ACPI)—power management for modern operating systems that are capable of Operating System-directed Power Management (OSPM)—is supported to achieve the most efficient power management possible. In addition to the ACPI feature, remote wake-up (including AMD Magic Packet and Microsoft Wake-Up Frame) is supported in both ACPI and APM (Advanced Power Management) environments.
The RTL8153B-VB supports Microsoft Wake Packet Detection (WPD) to provide Wake-Up Frame information to the OS, e.g., PatternID, OriginalPacketSize, SavedPacketSize, SavedPacketOffset, etc. WPD helps prevent unwanted/unauthorized wake-up of a sleeping computer.
The RTL8153B-VB supports ‘RealWoW!’ technology to enable remote wake-up of a sleeping PC through the Internet. This feature allows PCs to reduce power consumption by remaining in low power sleeping state until needed.
Note: The ‘RealWoW!’ service requires registration on first time use.
The RTL8153B-VB supports Protocol offload. It offloads some of the most common protocols to NIC hardware in order to prevent spurious wake-up and further reduce power consumption. The RTL8153B-VB can offload ARP (IPv4) and NS (IPv6) protocols while in the D3 power saving state.
The RTL8153B-VB supports the ECMA (European Computer Manufacturers Association) proxy for sleeping hosts standard. The standard specifies maintenance of network connectivity and presence via proxies in order to extend the sleep duration of higher-powered hosts. It handles some network tasks on behalf of the host, allowing the host to remain in sleep mode for longer periods. Required and optional behavior of an operating proxy includes generating reply packets, ignoring packets, and waking the host.
The RTL8153B-VB supports IEEE 802.3az-2010, also known as Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE). IEEE 802.3az-2010 operates with the IEEE 802.3 Media Access Control (MAC) Sublayer to support operation in Low Power Idle mode. When the Ethernet network is in low link utilization, EEE allows systems on both sides of the link to save power.
The RTL8153B-VB is fully compatible with Microsoft NDIS5, NDIS6 (IPv4, IPv6, TCP, UDP) Checksum features, and supports IEEE 802 IP Layer 2 priority encoding and IEEE 802.1Q Virtual bridged Local Area Network (VLAN). The above features contribute to lowering CPU utilization, especially benefiting performance when in operation on a network server.
The RTL8153B-VB is suitable for multiple market segments and emerging applications, such as desktop, mobile, workstation, server, communications platforms, docking station, and embedded applications.
- Integrated 10/100/1000M transceiver
- Auto-Negotiation with Next Page capability
- Supports USB 3.0, 2.0, and 1.1
- Supports CDC-ECM
- Supports LPM (Link Power Management), U1/U2/U3 at SuperSpeed, and L1/L2 at HighSpeed
- Supports pair swap/polarity/skew correction
- Crossover Detection & Auto-Correction
- Supports Wake-On-LAN and ‘RealWoW!’ (Wake-On-WAN) Technology (see note 1)
- Supports ECMA-393 ProxZzzy Standard for sleeping hosts (see note 1)
Note 1. Select between RealWoW! or ECMA; only one feature can be active at a time.
- Supports power down/link down power saving
- Transmit/Receive on-chip buffer support
- EEPROM Interface
- Embedded OTP memory can replace external EEPROM
- Built-in switching regulator and LDO regulator
- Supports Customizable LEDs
- Supports hardware CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) function
- LAN disable with GPIO pin
- Supports 25MHz Crystal
- Supports 25MHz/48MHz Oscillator
- SPI Flash Interface
- Supports Legacy PXE (eHCI and xHCI) & UEFI PXE
- 40-pin QFN ‘Green’ package
- Microsoft NDIS5, NDIS6 Checksum Offload (IPv4, IPv6, TCP, UDP) and Segmentation Task-offload (Large send v1 and Large send v2) support
- Supports jumbo frame to 9K bytes
- Supports Full Duplex flow control (IEEE 802.3x)
- Fully compatible with IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u, and IEEE 802.3ab
- Supports IEEE 802.1P Layer 2 Priority Encoding
- Supports IEEE 802.1Q VLAN tagging
- Supports IEEE 802.3az-2010 (EEE)
Microsoft AOAC (Always On Always Connected)
- Supports 32-set 128-byte Wake-Up Frame pattern exact matching
- Supports link change wake up
- Supports Microsoft WPD (Wake Packet Detection)
- Supports Protocol Offload (ARP & NS) at all speeds
Intel CPPM (Converged Platform Power Management)
- Supports L1 with 3ms BESL (USB 2.0)
- Dynamic LTM messaging (USB 3.0)
- Supports U1/U2/U3 (USB 3.0)
- Supports selective suspend
- USB 10/100/1000M Ethernet on Motherboard, Dongle, Notebook, Docking station, or Embedded system